Summary - Prep Time 20 Mins - Cook Time 1hr
This tasty meal is just so easy to make if you are pushed for time and beats spending ages making tricky sauces and messing up lots of pans.
For a more intense cheese flavour, substitute traditional Wensleydale Cheese for Extra Mature Wensleydale. This also works well if you are watching your weight and need to use a little less cheese while not compromising on flavour.
Don’t rush out especially to buy cans of ratatouille. A good alternative is a large jar of pasta sauce to which you can add a selection of cooked vegetables. You can even use 2 cans of chopped tomatoes with herbs or onions & garlic but you may need to boil for 20 minutes or so to reduce the liquid content & make a thicker sauce.
For a gluten free version, fry slices of aubergine in oil and use in place of lasagne sheets. Remember to check that added ingredients such as the ratatouille have not been thickened. No need to worry about the cheese though as this is naturally gluten free.
Tried and tested tip:
We always keep a few butter papers in our fridge as these are great for greasing dishes. We have our Mums and Grans to thank for this valuable tip!
- 225-275g (8-10oz) crumbled or grated Real Yorkshire Wensleydale Cheese
- 6-9 no pre cook lasagne sheets
- 2 x 400g cans ratatouille
- 300g (10oz) natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/375 F/Gas 5 and grease a large baking dish with oil or butter.
- Cover the base of the dish with 2-3 lasagne sheets depending on the size & shape of the dish used.
- Cover the lasagne sheets with a layer of ratatouille, sprinkle with cheese, basil and pepper and add a layer of yogurt.
- Repeat the layers & continue till all the ingredients are used. Finish by sprinkling with cheese.
- Bake for about one hour until the lasagne is cooked.
- Serve with a simple salad including crisp iceberg lettuce.